Skip Navigation LinksWhat-is-a-statement--

What is a statement

Q. What is a statement?

A. For a very few pupils the help given by schools at school action plus may not be enough to enable the pupil to make adequate progress. In this case the school / parent may ask the Local Authority to carry out a statutory assessment. The Local Authority will ask for information about your child from the school, the educational psychologist, your child’s GP, the educational welfare services and social services. If it is agreed that a statement is needed one will be written and sent to parents. A Statement of Special Educational Needs sets out the nature of the child’s difficulties and what the school can be expected to provide for your child. These are reviewed by the local authority every year.

Back to FAQs