Your Child to Read
| || ||Helping Your Child to
- Children love listening to stories
as well as reading for themselves.
- Never worry about reading. Sharing
a book is in itself a most valuable experience.
- Enjoy a regular reading time in a
quiet place. Encourage your child to choose what they want to
- Use a finger to follow the
- Talk about what they are reading;
what they can see in any pictures and ask questions about what they think may
- If your child gets stuck on a
word, talk about the sounds that make up the word.
- Try out some paired reading (take
turns reading a sentence).
- Don’t forget to praise.
- If you are having problems getting
your child to read, then try a different book or a different time of day.
- Talk about the book
when you have finished reading.